Report: Monza hopes for 10-year contract with big multi-million rebuild


We traveled to the Autodromo di Monza, or Monza Formula 1 Circuit, after the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix. The Italian Grand Prix will be held there later this year, so we will have two races on Italian soil in 2024.

Many Formula 1 fans believe that racing exists because Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali likes it that way. However, it is often forgotten that both Imola and Monza could change quickly during 2020 due to the coronavirus. The then successful event at Imola ensured that FOM and the circuit reached an agreement on a longer stay on the calendar.

However, by the end of 2025, the contracts for both Italian circuits will expire, and Italy therefore fears that one of the two public circuits will no longer be operational. Domenicali also recently indicated that he believes it will be difficult to see two races a year on Italian soil starting in 2026.

Thus, it seems that one of the two races will disappear, or at best, they will adopt a rotation system. After that, the Italian Grand Prix will be held one year at Imola and the following year at Monza, or vice versa.

However, it appears that Monza is opting to implement a long-term contract with a significant investment. Indeed, the organization of the Grand Prix, in the name of the President of the Italian Motor Sports Federation, Angelo Stucci Damiani, hopes to obtain a 10-year contract.

“Like organizing the Hungarian Grand Prix, we also hope to conclude a long-term contract of, for example, 10 years. This way you have a much longer time to recover the large investments,” the Italian said. Racing News 365among other things.

The organization has made these major investments in cooperation with the Italian government, and it can be clearly seen when we walk around the famous circuit located near Milan. In January, the asphalt was completely removed and the foundation beneath the asphalt was also replaced, bringing it completely up to date.

At the moment (Tuesday, May 21, 2024), there are already two layers of asphalt in most parts of the circuit. The third and final tier will soon follow, with Monza hoping to have the circuit in order by the end of June.

The article continues below Photos of the visit to the Autodromo di Monza.

In addition, in the first turn we see that in the second part of the turn, the asphalt strip has expanded. This was done to ensure that drivers could create an additional overtaking opportunity at this stage. There is no doubt that this will not be easy for the drivers, but they will certainly try.

However, the biggest changes were made primarily with the goal of keeping the race on the calendar. Circuits outside Europe have taken the level of infrastructure to a higher level and so Monza also had to make a move in this regard.

The Italians have chosen to improve many of the terraces and take them to a higher level. This will benefit the fans, but in particular, the new tunnel at the start of the straight will make the fans happy.

Until last year, both pasture workers and pasture club guests had to pass through the same tunnel toward the track. This often caused major congestion, and would likely make the additional tunnel a thing of the past.

A smart move, because in recent years the F1 organization has largely focused on fans staying at the circuit club. After all, this is the client who can make the most money.

“Obviously we will not be charging the same prices that Circuit Club guests are asked to do during the US Grand Prix. This is a different country, a different economic culture, so we would never target those prices. The reality is that we want to have everything,” Stitch said of the major renovations to the Circuit. Monza: “For the guest of the Circuit Club and this renovation certainly helps with that.”

Despite Monza's multi-million dollar investment, it remains to be seen whether that will be enough to keep the Grand Prix on the calendar. The quiet press conference during our visit to the track was clearly an indication that the organization and the Italian Motor Sport Federation have no idea where they stand yet.

This is not an unknown situation for a large group of European circuits who currently do not know what their future will look like from 2026, see the table below:

*Barcelona still has a contract until 2026, but it remains to be seen if the Grand Prix will actually go ahead in 2026. In fact, Madrid is also on the calendar from 2026, so there is still some uncertainty as to whether Spain will have two general races. .



Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWSWEB NEWSWEB NEWSWEB NEWSWEB NEWSWEB NEWSWEB NEWSWEB