Canapino skips IndyCar race in latest abuse saga twist


Even the Abu Dhabi Auto Racing League

Agustin Canapino will miss the IndyCar Road America weekend due to “increasing online abuse and harassment,” meaning an extraordinary week of events will continue.

Canapino will take a “sabbatical” and will be replaced by Nolan Siegel on the Juncos Hollinger Racing team.

“The increase in online abuse and harassment resulting from this week’s events has created an extremely difficult experience for Agustin, the team and the entire IndyCar fan base, and the safety of Agustin and the rest of the competitors must be kept in mind first.” Above all,” the team said in a statement.

“Abuse, hate and harassment in any form is damaging to the sport, and we must prioritize the mental and physical health of both our drivers and competitors.”

Juncos co-owner Brad Hollinger said the team must ensure drivers are “mentally and physically prepared when getting into the car” and said they were “saddened by the events that led to this scenario.”


What's happening in Juncos?

Jack Binion

This whole situation seems to have torn Juncos Hollinger Racing in two.

It may not be a 50/50 split in terms of numbers, but there seems to be a clear split between those who want to work harder with others and acknowledge that death threats are unacceptable in any circumstances, and those who subscribe to the Cannabino view.

He says he has not seen any of the death threats, that he should not be held responsible for them, and that he receives them all the time and simply ignores them.

There are people on the team who wanted to do more to defuse the situation after Cannabino's own statement, as well as some people who were angered by liking ill-considered tweets and made the situation worse.

They have just struggled to emerge from crisis management as the leading voice. It would be unfair to criticize the organization as a whole because there are some people who try hard to do good things and continue to do so.

The statement announcing Cannabino would be stepping down came with a quote from JHR's largest donor and co-owner Brad Hollinger. The person who brought Canabino to IndyCar and whose nationality he is, team owner Ricardo Juncos, has personally remained quiet.

It feels as if the Juncos and/or Canapino stepping up and urging their fanbase to stop this would carry a lot of weight with their countrymen and perhaps save McLaren's relationship and Canapino's position in the team at Road America as well.

This situation will be difficult for any team to handle and any team will probably have differences of opinion on how to handle it as well.

Hollinger's intervention seems important to me, because he is a very important person for the team, and this situation will likely have repercussions for him. Having your name on the door of a defamed team cannot be what he set out to do when he came from Williams in Formula 1.

Although death threats have occurred before, this incident will likely change this team forever.


The saga so far

Canabino was hit by McLaren driver Theo Bourchier in Detroit last weekend, an error for which Bourchier apologized after the race.

But that did not stop Bourchier from receiving more than 20 death threats on social media in the wake of the incident, leading to a joint statement from then-partners McLaren and Juncos on Monday, condemning the abuse.

A day later Canabino called it an “outrageous” and baseless accusation against his fanbase and said he had not seen a “single death threat” targeted at those who claimed to have received such threats.

But two days later, McLaren took decisive action by severing the commercial partnership with Juncos, which it entered into late last year, with immediate effect. Juncos subsequently issued a short statement accepting the decision.

Along with the announcement of Cannabino stepping down in favor of Siegel, the team said it is “working directly with IndyCar to create a better community for our fans, drivers and team members, united to make IndyCar a welcome sport for all.”

Who is Nolan Siegel?

Siegel is scheduled to make his second 2024 championship start on Sunday, after finishing 20th at Long Beach for Dale Coyne before failing to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 – where he was the only driver to crash in his first Indy 500 weekend, but was praised It has the head of McLaren. Zac Brown and is considered a replacement if Kyle Larson needs to leave for the NASCAR bumper race before the Indy 500 is completed.

The 19-year-old has had a strong start to his second full-time Indy NXT season, with one win and two more podium finishes leaving him currently third in the championship. He pulls double duty at Road America and races in NXT as well as IndyCar.



Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *